Do you enjoy working with people, have a passion for fitness and want to pursue a career in the fitness industry? Then, take a look at our Discovery Learning Gym Instructor Course – our most popular qualification – to start your journey to become a gym instructor.
What does a gym instructor do?
A gym instructor works in a gym environment with clients of all ages and abilities to ensure they are exercising and using gym equipment in a safe and effective manner. An instructor will design individualised introductory programmes for clients, helping and motivating them when necessary, so the clients improve their confidence with their fitness training. At times, clients may also need an instructor’s help to achieve specific fitness goals.
Why choose a Discovery Learning Gym Instructor Course?
- Our level 2 Gym Instructor Course is the starting point for people wanting to embark on a career in the fitness industry. This course suits school leavers who are just starting their careers as well as people are looking at a career change and have a keen interest in the fitness industry.
- Our friendly, knowledgeable, and competent instructors make the course engaging and enjoyable; our instructors are enthusiastic about passing on their knowledge to you and helping you to develop your skills.
- Once you have completed and passed your course, you can be sure you will have gained the knowledge and skills necessary to train others with confidence. As an added bonus, you will also improve your own fitness training.
- You will receive plenty of support and resources as part of the course, so you will be well-prepared to pass the assessments and achieve the nationally recognised qualification.
- Once you are a qualified gym instructor, there are abundant career opportunities as well as the possibility to advance to Personal Trainer level and exercise specialist.
- Our flexible study programmes include full-time, part-time and online options, so there is a programme to fit easily into your busy lifestyle.
- We also offer affordable payment options.
Are there any pre-requisites for the Gym Instructor course?
No, there are no pre-requisites. It is recommended, however, that you are reasonably fit, have experience in a gym environment, and have good written and communication skills.
What will you learn on the course?
To be a competent gym instructor, you will need a firm understanding of the structure and function of the muscles and bones in the human body. You will also need to understand the workings of the heart and circulatory system, as well as the respiratory system, and understand how the body generates and uses energy. A further important component of the course is to learn about safe exercising and general safety within the gym environment.
The following 6 units are studied in the course:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Principles of Exercise and Health
- Maintaining Health, Safety and Welfare in Fitness Environments
- Programming Safe and Effective Exercises
- Instructing Safe and Effective Exercises
- Supporting Your Client to Adhere to Exercise
How will you be assessed?
There are two hour-long multiple choice examinations, one covering Anatomy & Physiology and the other covering the Principles of Exercise & Fitness. There is one practical exam, a continuous practical assessment and four worksheets.
What support is there for you on the course?
We understand that it can sometimes be challenging to return to studies, particularly after some years away from school. We offer our students abundant support to help them achieve effective learning, so they can pass their assessments and gain their well-earned certificates. If you have any questions, you can contact the student support team by telephone, Skype or e-mail. There is also a fully interactive online learning package that contains videos, tutorials, visual aids and other learning tools. This learning package is provided free with the course.
Will you receive a certificate from the course?
Yes, successfully completing the course will earn you a Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing – Gym Based Exercises. This is a nationally-recognised YMCA awards qualification that will provide entry onto the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at level 2. You will acquire 20 REPs points.
How is the course run?
You can complete our Gym Instructor Course on a full-time or part-time basis. To complete the full-time course, you need to do a total of eight days of study, on Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 4.30pm. The full-time course can be taken in West London, Birmingham, Bournemouth, and Manchester. The part-time course needs a minimum of four weeks study at home with two days attendance at an academy and one day for practical assessment. The attendance at an academy can be either over one weekend or during the week. The part-time weekday course filters onto the full-time course and, as such, is at the same locations. The part-time weekend course is run at all of our academies.